When seeking Imatinib copay assistance, the most important thing to note is that this medication is effective and therefore was prescribed by your doctor for a very good reason. It is important to take Imatinib Mesylate exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider.
Imatinib Mesylate, also known by the brand name “Gleevec,” is a drug used for the treatment of certain types of cancer, including chronic myeloid leukemia (CML), gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GISTs), and other blood disorders. It works by inhibiting the activity of a specific protein called tyrosine kinase, which is responsible for the growth and proliferation of cancer cells. What does this mean? Essentially, Imatinib Mesylate (Gleevec) will help to slow the development of certain types of cancer.
Image Credit: Wikipedia
We understand that for many this is uncharted territory, so in addition to the Imatinib copay assistance programs this article will also cover some useful information including side effects and answers to frequently asked questions.
While Imatinib Mesylate (Gleevec) is an effective treatment, it can be quite difficult for some patients to afford. Fortunately, there are programs available that can provide financial assistance for Imatinib, often in the form of a copay card. Think of a copay card as a sort of coupon. While it will most likely not cover the entire cost of your prescription copay, it will certainly help reduce the expense.
What exactly is an Imatinib Copay Assistance Card?
A copay card is a type of discount card that is offered by pharmaceutical companies or other copay assistance programs to help patients afford their medications. Imatinib copay assistance cards are specifically designed to help patients who have been prescribed Imatinib but are struggling to pay for it. These cards are available to anyone who meets certain eligibility criteria, which typically include having insurance coverage and meeting certain income requirements.
The Imatinib copay assistance card works by reducing the amount of money that patients are required to pay out of pocket for their Imatinib prescription. For example, if a patient’s insurance plan requires them to pay a copayment of $400 for each Imatinib prescription, the copay card may reduce that copayment to $100.
While these are just example numbers, the savings benefits from the Imatinib copay assistance program will certainly add up. It should be noted that first and foremost, the best thing you can do with your prescriptions is to bring them to a locally-owned pharmacy that cares about getting you the best price because copays can vary between these and “big box” or large chain pharmacies. At QuickRx, our primary goal is to always make sure your medication is accessible to you as much as possible.
How Much Will I Save?
The exact amount of savings that patients can expect to receive from the Imatinib copay assistance card will depend on their specific insurance plan and the terms of the Imatinib copay assistance program for which they are approved. For example, there are certain Imatinib copay assistance programs that are specifically meant for those who are on Medicare and there are some specifically meant for those with private insurance providers.
Some cards may only allow a limited amount of savings, while others may offer more significant discounts. This is why it’s beneficial to work with QuickRx. We help you through every step of the process to ensure that you are getting all of the savings to which you are entitled.
How do I get my Imatinib Copay Assistance?
To obtain an Imatinib copay assistance card or other Imatinib copay savings, patients should speak to a specialist at QuickRx. We’ve placed a button below this article where you can click to contact us and get started on your Imatinib copay assistance journey with ease. You may also apply online through the Financial Assistance page on our website.
Once approved, QuickRx will handle everything and you can begin to save money on your Imatinib prescriptions. In addition, you can learn about potential savings on other select prescriptions for you or a loved one. We have an entire program dedicated to helping patients afford their medications!
It is important to note that while the Imatinib copay assistance card can help reduce the cost of Imatinib for many patients, it is not a substitute for comprehensive health insurance. In fact, many Imatinib copay assistance programs require that patients should still make sure that they have adequate health insurance coverage to help cover the cost of their Imatinib and other general medical or cancer treatments.
What if I’m in a Coverage Gap or “Donut Hole”
The coverage gap was put in place to help control the costs of Medicare Part D. However, it can still be a significant financial burden for Medicare members. This is when you will need Imatinib copay assistance most. The best advice we can give you to prepare for this inevitable time is to contact us before it happens so you can begin to save and prepare.
I got my copay reduced. Now what?
You may be wondering what to expect after receiving Imatinib copay assistance and beginning to take your medication. If you are experiencing mild side effects, you are always welcome to call your local QuickRx Specialty Pharmacy location and speak to a pharmacist to confirm whether what you are experiencing is indeed a known side effect of Imatinib Mesylate (Gleevec) or any of your other medications. However, if you are experiencing a more severe side effect we urge you to call your doctor or proceed to the nearest emergency room depending on severity.
Here are some examples of more common, mild side effects of Imatinib Mesylate (Gleevec);
- Nausea and vomiting: These are among the most common side effects of Imatinib Mesylate. They can be managed with anti-nausea medications or by adjusting the dose of Imatinib Mesylate.
- Fatigue: Many patients experience fatigue and weakness while taking Imatinib Mesylate. This may be due to the drug’s impact on the bone marrow, where blood cells are produced.
- Diarrhea: Imatinib Mesylate can cause diarrhea, which can be severe in some cases. Patients should stay hydrated and report any persistent or severe diarrhea to their healthcare provider.
- Edema: Imatinib Mesylate can cause fluid retention, leading to swelling in the hands, feet, or other parts of the body. While this is often mild, be sure to call your doctor if it progresses as noted below.
- Skin rash: Some patients may develop a skin rash while taking Imatinib Mesylate. This is usually mild and can be managed with topical creams or antihistamines.
- Muscle cramps: Imatinib Mesylate can cause muscle cramps and spasms, particularly in the legs. Stretching exercises and massage may help alleviate these symptoms.
- Headache: Some patients may experience headaches while taking Imatinib Mesylate. Over-the-counter pain relievers can help manage these symptoms.
- Changes in blood counts: Imatinib Mesylate can affect the production of blood cells, leading to changes in blood counts. Patients may require regular blood tests to monitor these changes.
- Liver toxicity: Imatinib Mesylate can cause liver toxicity, which can be serious in some cases. Patients should report any signs of liver damage, such as jaundice or abdominal pain, to their healthcare provider.
It is important to note that not all patients will experience these side effects, and some may experience other less common side effects. Again, patients should talk to their healthcare provider about any concerns they may have and report any persistent or severe symptoms as soon as possible.
What are the more serious side effects of Imatinib Mesylate (Gleevec)?
While this is not a complete list, if you experience any of these or any similar side effects, you should call your doctor immediately. Here are some examples of side effects for which you should call your doctor;
- Severe blistering skin rashes
- Yellowing skin and eyes, also commonly known as jaundice
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Weakness with shortness of breath
- Severe Headaches
- Severe flu-like symptoms
- Easy bruising and/or bleeding
- Extreme fatigue or tiredness
- Sudden or unexplained weight gain
- Severe swelling, especially in the lower legs and/or the area around the eyes
- Black or bloody stool
- Dark urine
- Severe superficial edema (swelling due to fluid accumulation in body tissue)
- Muscle cramps
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Rash/other skin problems
- Abdominal pain
- Joint pain
Finally, although these are extremely rare, you should immediately proceed to the nearest emergency room if you are experiencing any of the following examples of severe side effects;
- Eye symptoms such as sudden vision loss, blurred vision, tunnel vision, eye swelling/pain, or seeing halos around lights.
- Heart symptoms such as fast, irregular, or pounding heartbeat; fluttering in your chest, shortness of breath, and sudden dizziness/lightheadedness, or passing out.
- Severe headache, confusion, slurred speech, arm or leg weakness, trouble walking, loss of coordination, feeling unsteady, very stiff muscles, high fever, sweating profusely, or tremors.
Although most medications carry side effects, the side effects that are considered rare are often experienced by between one of every 1,000 and one of every 10,000 patients. Side effects that are considered extremely rare means they were experienced by less than one in 10,000 patients. This means that while not impossible, it is statistically more likely for most people to experience the mild side effects first listed in this section.
Here at QuickRx we always want to make sure that you are prepared with the proper education on all of your medications and we want you to know that we are truly here to help you in your time of need. From securing your Imatinib copay assistance, to answering questions, providing support, and even home delivery- we’re here for you. Always.
The Imatinib copay assistance card is a valuable resource that can help patients afford their Imatinib Mesylate (Gleevec) prescription. By reducing the amount of money that patients are required to pay out of pocket, the copay card can help ensure that patients have access to the life-saving treatment they need, or even just money left over to cover the essentials.
If you or someone you know is taking Imatinib Mesylate (Gleevec) and struggling to pay for it, be sure to click the button below to get started. There’s no better time than now to begin paying less for your Imatinib Mesylate (Gleevec). Still want to learn more about Imatinib? Check out our previous blog that covers more general information on this medication including clinical trial data and other side effects.
Finally, if you or a loved one need additional resources for GIST medical care beyond our Imatinib copay assistance program such as lodging, transportation, or even finding clinical trials, we wholeheartedly recommend you explore an amazing non-profit organization called The Life Raft Group. Their website is full of these resources and so much more.